Friday, August 15, 2008

Raspberry Hands


Sofia does not eat much but loves raspberries. One day, she began to put raspberries on each of her fingers, just like one would do with olives. She loves to fill one hand, giggles, and screams, "I have a raspberry hand!" Yesterday she managed to fill all of her fingers and she was so proud of herself. We had to capture the moment. Sofia continues to catch us off guard with her interesting observations and questions. She recently has taken to asking a million "why" questions, half of which I have a hard time answering. This morning she asked me if there were sharks in Lake Tahoe (we are on vacation) and I said "oh, no honey." She promptly replied, "mommy, why aren't there any sharks in Lake Tahoe, but there are sharks in the ocean?" I paused. Uh oh. I fumbled and then responded, "well, because sharks live in salt water..." and immediately looked at Brian with a look of uncertainty. Brian of course, reminded me that there indeed were freshwater sharks, so I had to tell Sofia, "sharks don't like to live in Lake Tahoe because it is too cold." I still do not know that exact reason. She asked me the other day, "why does the moon only come out at night?" I luckily knew the answer to that one. I am definitely going to learn a lot from trying to answer her questions. Not only do I continue to learn so much about myself in this crazy journey called "parenting", now I need to study some physics, marine biology, chemistry, geology, astronomy, and maybe bioengineering. Phew, I am going to be one, well-educated mama in a few years.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

apparently lake tahoe is just like a "sub alpine lake that has no connection to the ocean". that's what jeff says. i wouldn't have been able to answer that easier.
you go girl!