Monday, August 4, 2008

Pig Tails



What is it about little girls with pig tails that makes them so darling? If I could, I would put Sofia's hair in pig tails every day because it just about melts my heart. Unfortunately, Sofia does not like anything in her hair and will only let me put it up every so often. About ten minutes after I finish meticulously parting her hair and putting it into perfect little pig tails, she will rip out the rubber bands because it is not "tight enough." For some reason, girlfriend has to have the rubber bands in super tight or she freaks out. She is very particular about certain things. She will always ask me, "Mommy, do I look beautiful?" and of course, I tell her she is amazingly beautiful, no matter what. She is obsessed with princesses, and sometimes I fear that she is beginning to focus on the importance of being beautiful in order to be successful. I am probably overreacting, but I do worry about the influence of images of beauty that surround us (and the misconception of what and where true beauty is...). She does love to watch movies about princesses which I swore I would never do, but with three kids, I have let go of my boundaries and I have given in on some level to her preference for everything girlie. She talks about lipstick (chap stick) and make-up even though I do not wear either but once a week, if that. I have talked to so many other mothers who have experienced the same thing with their daughters and we agree that there is only so much we can control with our children. Not to say that I am not taking responsibility for exposing her to Cinderella and Ariel, but I do feel like she is inherently obsessed with everything sparkly. At bed time, she loves to sing us a song. She makes us get in to bed with her and lay down while she sits up, pats her leg and sings loudly. She usually sings a song that goes something like this: "Sparkly princess with make-up and lipstick, she loves to go dancing and flip, flip." She has recently discovered the ability to rhyme, hence the nonsensical nature of her song. She will go on and on some nights and then will abruptly lay down and ask "Mommy did you like my song? Now sing 'Scarborough Fair' please." Then I sing softly to her and try to leave the room with Luca yelling at me. Sofia is so sweet at night with her silly songs and tight squeezes. She is so cuddly and loving, I could just lay there all night. Those darn pig tails; I swear she could do anything and get away with it. If only she had figured that out. For now I'll keep that to myself (and on the blog.)

1 comment:

Gillian said...

i can't even imagine when the whole girl thing gets going. already els loves her shiny red shoes and tries to put them on when she finds them in her room. while i'm with ya on the princesses, it's hard to think they aren't gonna love em. gender roles are nuts. just wait til we can share tori and ani with them. we'll put them on the right path, it just might take some pinks and purples along the way.