Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Missing


















As we begin to finally paint our little home and I am thinking about what we are going to put on the walls, I am looking back over pictures of us. I want to fill the walls with pictures that remind us of times in our lives that made us take a breath. I love to surround myself with the moments we wish we could just sneak back to for just a second to feel, smell, be in that place again. I went downstairs to pull up some pictures of the Duomo in Florence that we took on our trip in the fall of 2006. Of course, I could not stop looking at pictures of Sofia who was 21 months and Luca who was about Silvio's age. I just can't believe how much they have changed in such a short time. Brian and I watched a short video of Sofia and tears just poured down my face. She was a baby, babbling and toddling as she walked. Now she is a little girl who talks about her feelings and tries to help mommy take care of Silvio. I just want to slip back to that moment on the train in the picture where she just sat on that fold out bench and gazed out the door as the Italian countryside slipped by. I want to twirl those sweet curls and smell salty skin. My first little baby is growing up so fast. At bed time the other night, Sofia caressed my face and ran her hands through my hair. She then pulled me in to a tight squeeze and whispered, "I love you, Mommy." I just wanted to stay there forever. I hope that reveling in the moment as long as I can will allow me to remember the feeling. I know these moments are fleeting, but I look forward to all of the delicious snuggles and whispered words ahead.

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

okay, that made me cry...