Monday, July 21, 2008

Tough Times

We are having horrible bed time battles. At one time, I used to walk out of the bedroom with a sweet and soft "good night" and I would not see their darling faces until morning. We could not be any further from that. Once Luca started to climb out of his crib (and cut open his chin one time), we were forced to move him to a toddler bed, better known as his "big boy bed." Well, I think we should call it the "run back and forth to the door bed." That is what Luca does every night usually whining a "I need something" as he darts back to his bed. He plays this game with us for up to 2 hours. It is brutal. All I want is an end time to my day. Needless to say, this stay-at-home-with-three-kids job is pretty darn tough and I am just exhausted and in dire need of some time with my own person. And I am not getting much of that at all these days. We have become angry and taken things away and we have been extremely calm and silent while putting him back in his bed. Nothing seems to work. I know that boys are kinetic, that he may be going through some sort of developmental thing. I just want it over. A few months ago, we decided to put Luca down in our room, in the other crib. That definitely worked for a while, but we need our room for the Nug, so it was never a long term solution. Oh the woes of living in a 900 square-foot house with three kids. Yes, I do think that separate bedrooms would solve this issue on some level, but that is a useless thought. I dream sometimes of that third bedroom or that garage that can actually accommodate a minivan, but I am unwilling to give up a life in the city. No way Jose; we love it here. So we will get through the struggle of our small space and a tiny bedroom that will soon fit all three kids. That is the plan, but I have this crazy feeling the Nug might just be in our room for a while. Just a hunch. For now, I am frustrated and done. Luca is giving us some crap right now and I know this stuff is everchanging but sometimes when you are so deep in it, it is hard to see out of it. He is whining, screaming, tantruming all of the time. I know, he is acting exactly like a two-and-a-half-year-old, but that does not make it any easier. I just want to walk out of the room and shut the door and breath a huge sigh of relief, knowing that my day is over. Now I walk out and wage my bets on how many times I will shut that door for the following hour or two. Sometimes it is five times, sometimes twenty. Nobody said having three kids in four years would be easy. It is not even remotely easy, but ya just do it. Every day. I get up and do it. I just hope that end part of my day gets simpler. At least I know Luca won't be doing this when he is 15, right? Phew.

1 comment:

Nay-Nay said...

Do you wanna send him to Maui for a little breather? Last night was my last class, so I have a little free time now. :o)

Love and miss you tons. Wish I could be there.

Womie