Sunday, July 6, 2008

Hangin' with the Boys



Last weekend, we decided to drop off Sofia with Nonna, so she could have some time "just the girls." Not only does Sofia need some well-deserved one-on-one time, she absolutely loves to spend time with Nonna. She was so excited to look at Nonna's make-up and listicks.... boy, are we in trouble. She is only 3 and a half, and the girl is obsessed with make-up. Anyway, Brian and I thought we would enjoy some time with the boys. Luca loves trains and talks about riding trains constantly. The other day, as we were passing Glen Park, Luca suddenly exclaimed "I want to go downtown and ride the BART train!" I could not believe that he had remembered the BART station since the last time we went on BART was quite some time ago. His memory is amazing, especially for trains and anything mechanical, for that matter. So that morning, we thought it would be nice to head downtown with only 2 kids, and only one that is mobile. (It is amazing what seems easy these days).
We headed to the station and took BART. Luca was thrilled to see the BART trains passing and kept saying "oooooooohhhhhh, I see the BART train!" I love his enthusiasm. We went downtown and walked to the Farmers' Market at the Ferry Building. Along the way we stopped to watch an incredibly talented percussionist who uses common things for drums. Luca was in awe of the beats and stood for quite a while. He grabbed my hand as we watched the drummer and I took a moment to take in the warmth of my sweet son's hand, the smell of the water, the noise of people walking by, and the beautiful city that we call home. I breathed it all in and felt full of gratitude. This little boy who is so kinetic, was taking a moment to hold his mommy's hand. I revel in those small moments I have with these incredible little beings because I know they are fleeting. I try to take it in and be present. My little Luca is such an amazing child full of wonder, curiosity, love, energy, and sweet moments.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

this made me cry. love you guys.

Janine Evans said...

so sweet!