Sunday, October 26, 2008

Growing Up



The Schnug is growing up. I guess that's what happens to our babies. With Silvio, I am trying desperately to hold on to every single snuggle, hand squeeze, and squeal because he is our baby. When Sofia was a baby, I was learning the ropes of motherhood, trying to figure out how to take care of a little being. Just when I was getting used to being a "mommy" I found out I was pregnant with Luca. Luca was born when Sofia was only 14 months old, so I had two babies. I felt like we were just trying to get through the days with the two so close together. Then there came number three. The night before I found out I was pregnant with Silvio, Brian and I went out to dinner at our favorite restaurant. Over a bottle of wine and amazing food, we talked about how we both felt like we wanted to have a third child. The next morning I woke up with a strange feeling that I might be pregnant. Two minutes later, a second stripe appeared. There you go; put it out there in the universe and it comes back. We still don't completely understand how I got pregnant. I just know that his soul was waiting to grace our family. I am truly taking it all in. I know how to be a mom and I am familiar with all of the ins and outs of taking care of a baby, so now I can just eat it all up. I am trying to be conscious of all the tiny changes that Silvio encounters. He is constantly moving forward and continuing to become more and more independent. The other day, he reached for his bottle as I was feeding him, and held on with both hands. I sat there useless as my little Schnug fed himself. I felt a bit emotional, since that time has always been so precious, so sweet and now he is wanting to hold the bottle himself. I was merely a soft lap for support. He is feeding himself all sorts of food including pears, crackers, pasta, banana, and peas. Silvio loves to eat (evident in the immense amount of chunk on his tiny body) and thoroughly enjoys the ability to feed himself. It is amazing to watch him become increasingly less dependent on us. It is bittersweet to see my little baby, my Shnugums, growing up. This is life.

No comments: