Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Good Day


Every time I enter in my code to the gate at Miraloma (Sofia and Luca's preschool), I take a deep breath. I immediately find Moira's (Director) or Hala's (Teacher) eyes, searching for any remote sign of disappointment. Luca has not been doing well with the potty traning and we have found ourselves at a total loss. We don't really know what to do but we refuse to go back to diapers. Consequently, we are left with somewhere between 3 and 10 accidents in a day. Nothing says I feel wonderful like wiping poop 10 times in a day and then cleaning the underwear in the sink. It has been brutal. Sofia was such a dream, so I have been completely blindsided by how incredibly difficult this whole potty training thing could be. I try not to blame myself (yeah right) for all of this; we did push Luca really hard to potty train before he was ready. I just thought it would take longer but I thought it would eventually happen. Not so much. Luca is the most strong-willed child and fights hard when he feels any pressure at all. Naturally, he is fighting the potty like a champ. Brian and I both feel like we need to release all of the energy around the potty (that sounds awesome) so that he will feel comfortable and in control. At the end of my day after 10 accidents, I have a very hard time being patient. I am trying. But today was a good day. I walked in to school with my heart pounding a bit as usual and met Hala eyes with a smile. She told me that she felt like Luca was "getting it." She feels like he is adjusting to school and is beginning to listen more attentively. Hala has been the perfect teacher for Luca. She is a potty training pro and always gets Luca to go without a fight. Hala has a a great way with him and he feels safe with her. I am so grateful for that. I am trying to surround Luca with tons of positive thoughts and affirmation. I know he really needs that right now. He has such a strong spirit and finds ways to amaze me every day. I know that we will have so many more good days ahead.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hooray! Felicitades! I am so happy for all of you.