Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Power of Three

Today I decided to head to Noe Valley with the kids. We started out at a cafe for a snack. Sofia and Luca each had a pastry and a milk box. I stood the entire time with Silvio in the Ergo. As I seated the two kids, a kind lady nearby came over and brought me chair saying "you definitely deserve to sit down." I thanked her but could not sit down because a) Silvio might wake up and b) when the kids are eating, I need to be ready for any possible disaster. We finished up and as we were leaving the same kind lady told me how well-behaved they were. I was very proud. I find myself being extremely anxious often when I am with the three because I feel like I may not be able to handle a breakdown of one or all children in public. Yet I felt empowered as we were leaving the cafe and felt ready to take on the world. Next stop: Rabat, a shoe store. Thankfully, we were the only customers since Luca and Sofia decided to chase each other around the benches and scream. I looked at some shoes while Sofia chatted up the salesperson. Sofia was filling her in on what we were looking for; "Mommy needs to find some silver shoes for Auntie Steffie's wedding, but I already have my shoes." We managed to leave with all of the toys back in the toy basket and walk out with the appropriate "goodbye" and "thank you." Next stop was a hair cut for Luca. I have been struggling with the thought of cutting off his beautiful, curly locks, but he has been pushing it out of his face, so I decided to try the "boy cut." So we went to Supercuts....yes, I should have known better. She just went for it and chopped off all of the curls and left a muddled mess. His hair is so uneven, and I am a bit disappointed that I took him there. Of course, since Luca was getting his hair cut Sofia HAD to have her hair cut too, so I caved. Of course, about 30 seconds into it, she was so over it and wanted the lady to stop. Girls. So I tackled a haircut and a snack with three kids. Yes. I felt great. The kids were awesome. Mommy to the power of three.

No comments: