Friday, March 19, 2010

Decisions Part One


This whole kindergarten process has been so intense, so stressful, and downright awful at times. After what seemed like a hundred tours to nightly discussions, we feel like we have had several decisions made. I always knew we would apply to a few Catholic schools as back up options. The public school system is so crazy here in the city, so we had no idea where we would get in or if we would even get one of our seven choices. I felt like we had to consider a few other schools.

After touring about 5 Catholic schools, I knew I like one the most. Notre Dame de Victoires is a small school nestled on a busy street downtown. It is very French, with daily French lessons and a sweet little Frenchy uniform. I have always known of the school as a somewhat prestigious place where many kids go on to some of the best high schools in the city. I guess I kind of liked that too.

We applied and after two separate assessments, we found out that we were accepted. It felt like we got our first parent award. As if some one was saying, "good job raising such a great kid!" I was shaking when we found out, wondering if we could ever afford the tuition. We had to put down our $1000 deposit within 5 days of finding out and 5 weeks before we found out what public school we were assigned to. I really did not like this part. How could I make a decision without all of the pieces?

After many intense dreams, many conversations with Brian and my mother, we decided that NDV was indeed the right place for us and that we were going to make it work. I am going to work and we will make more money and we will be able to pay $900 a month in 5 months. Let's do it.

But some strange, sinking feeling began to form in the pit of my stomach. I am not an optimist. My glasses are clear. I try to see things as they are and hope that I will continue to move forward. I don't like to rely on hope for something that is not clear to me today. So, I felt uncomfortable committing to a school that we could not actually afford. Once all three kids are in school, NDV would cost us over $2100 a month. Ouch. Could we say college tuition? Could we say Disneyland for a month every summer? That and then some.

But really the question is, "is it worth it?"

To be continued...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

girlfriend!
first of all, yay, a new post.
second of all, whatever decision you make will be the right one.
and i had such a lovely time with you, too, friday morning. i thought about that when i wrote that debbie downer post (like wow, i didn't even mention fun playdate) but you know . . .
just got your message too. i will call you in a few.
xo

Kelly Jane said...

Oh my goodness Nicole, I'm on pins and needles for you! Congratulations on Sofia's acceptance to NDV... that's huge!... and the decision process is huge as well... you and Brian know what's right for your girl and your family, and your decision will be the right one!! Oh my, the process is agonizing. After it all, we're choosing our local public school. I still wonder at times whether there's something better for my family, but I have a sweet feeling about walking to school with my boys and their neighborhood friends. And I'm encouraged by the many activist (as in involved--not necessarily political!) parents on the PTA as well as our ability and--bonus!--my mom's ability to be involved with the school. My thoughts are with you! Miss you and your trio of sweetness!!!